The Random Something 001
I’m a huge music fan. I also make music, so besides pure dionysian enjoyment—which is the most important—I turn to music for inspiration and education.
As a kid, I’ve loved making mixtapes. I would sit next to the radio, wait for my favorite songs to begin, and then record them on my compact cassette. Later I would gather those songs in playlists and gift them to friends.
A couple of days ago a close friend shared a CD with an MP3 compilation we did back in 2000. It was our first MP3 compilation (at the time of the dial-up internet!). Both the music and the artwork reflected our early adolescent years. It featured a semi-nude Lara Croft sunbathing, with songs ranging from Bomfunk MC’s and Michael Jackson to Red Hot Chili Peppers and Vengaboys.
Anyway, this was a long-winded way of saying that I’ve decided to start putting together playlists again and sharing them on this blog and my Spotify account. I enjoy that process. It makes me pay closer attention to the music and encourages me to explore that art form.
So, here it is, my first official playlist in a long time — The Random Something 001 (direct Spotify link). No Lara Croft or Vengaboys, but I hope you still like it.
The Random Something 001 Tracklist
- Actress – Ascending
- Alabama Shakes – Don’t Wanna Fight
- The xx – VCR (Four Tet Remix)
- Omar Souleyman – Kaset Hanzal (Drinking From The Glass Of Bitterness)
- Medeski, Martin & Wood – Hey-Hee-Hi-Ho (Billy Martin Remix)
- Beck – Youthless
- Jamie Lidell, BASECAMP – Walk Right Back (BASECAMP Remix)
- Tame Impala – The Less I Know The Better
- The Black Knights – The Joust
- Foals – Birch Tree
- Ennio Morricone – Ti Prego Amami (Film Version)
- Radiohead – Decks Dark
- A Tribe Called Quest – Melatonin
- Brian Eno – Sky Saw (2004 Digital Remaster)